Saturday, January 10, 2009

AQWA!

Last Wednesday, the fam and I headed to AQWA (The Aquarium of Western Australia). I love this place. It makes me proud to be a West Aussie in a weird kind of way - when I experience the aquarium and think about the fact that these beautiful, weird and wonderful creatures are all native to our coast, I realise just how lucky I am to live where I do.

Photobucket
Here is where AQWA is located, right on the W.A. 'Sunset Coast' - I live 30-45 minutes from here.

Of course, I took lots of photos!

Photobucket
This guy is, I believe, a Grey Nurse shark. They aren't known for their dangerousness (despite appearance!), but unprovoked attacks have occurred.

Photobucket
This fish is known as an 'Old Wife' because it makes a grumbling sound when caught!

Photobucket
This is a Moon Wrasse. I would love one for our planned reef tank, but he is a bit destructive and aggressive, so it probably wont happen.

Photobucket
Lion Fish.

Photobucket
Clown Fish.

Photobucket
Just about the ugliest (and most venomous) fish in the world, a Stone Fish.

Photobucket
The Blue-Ringed octopus, the most deadly octopus in the world. He holds enough venom to kill 10 humans. There is no antidote.

I don't know the names of the rest of these creatures:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Afterwards, we went to the little shallow beach bit at the harbour. For the fun of it, here is a picture of my youngest and I, playing in the water:

Photobucket

Such a fun day! I can't wait to go back again, but next time we will be going to the Naturaliste Marine Discovery Centre, which is located right next door to the aquarium.

No comments:

Post a Comment